Tuesday 18 June 2013

Fairyland on the Ayeyarwady

In an earlier post in May (see here) I talked about a very special event that took place while on the Road to Mandalay cruise during my stay in Myanmar.

And then one evening the crew had a special surprise for those who waited up till nightfall around 9.30 p.m. (not everyone!) Thousands - and I mean thousands - of candles floated silently down the river towards us. Tightly packed and taking up the entire expanse of the river it was an awe-inspiring sight. It was such a moving experience that my camera 'blew up'! The silence on board was amazing. So you will just have to imagine it. It was one of those unforgetable moments in time. The piece de resistance! And I missed recording it!
 
From the darkness came the light/s
Well finally I have tracked down some photos from my friend who had travelled on an earlier cruise (the same friend who described her single cabin as a cupboard - albeit a glorified one!)  

Fairyland dispersing around the boat
It's hard to explain how beautiful it was. A balmy night, silence on the river, silence on the boat. The breeze and the river in control. The wonder of it all. 

Memories.
 
Thank you Helen.

No comments:

Post a Comment